Yesterday we ran a simulated mission operations scenario... something we had spent a year preparing, and it worked. From Chris's laptop at NASA-Ames, across through compression and a communications server, through an Iridium dial-up link, reconstructed here in University Valley, relayed to the drill and sample transfer arm executive, which ran these as instructed, resulting in powdered sample being drilled, acquired, and deposited in the inlet ports of two mockup instruments on a simulated spacecraft deck. We took advantage of 24-hour daylight and ran tests until 2am.
This was a major part of our overall goals during testing here, so I'm pleased.
Today has been concerned with drill maintenance... and two people have returned to McMurdo, leaving five in camp here.